Monday, January 27, 2014

Blog #6

I believe 100% that readicide is a problem in schools. I, myself, am a great case of this. I absolutely love to read (hence why I took this class). But when it comes to English class, I hate reading. I don't believe that genre fiction is 'less worthy' than literary fiction though. I love the statement that Kim Wright made regarding this. She stated, "..genre was treated almost a different industry from literary fiction...sneered at by literary writers...the secret was that, thanks to the loyalty of their fans...these genre books were the ones who kept the entire operation in business". This is a huge praise for genre fiction because it's what the readers actually enjoy reading. And when you can allow reading to be enjoyable, I find that much more 'worthy' than a way too in depth literary fiction book. Even though I have this opinion, I do believe we should still read literary fiction in class instead of genre. This is because you aren't going to learn anything from Twilight or The Hunger Games. Their goal is to entertain, and they don't contain any information that can better a student. I would change how exclusively the literary fiction books are taught though. Less note taking, less quiz taking, and less essays. Let us simply sit down and read the book without being interrupted. I believe this could calm the hatred for literary if this were to happen. We want kids to read books. If they do, there is a chance that they'll stay off their cell phones or the TV or the computer or any other electronic for at least one hour a day. Our generation is swarmed with technology and sometimes I think we don't know how to function without it. By encouraging kids to read in class and not making them process every single sentence in the dang book, they might actually continue it outside of class.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that there isn't anything you can learn from Twilight or Hungar Games

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm completly the same. I love reading outside of school but when it comes to reading books for school it feels like more of a job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you can't learn anything from genre fiction. There are themes addressed in newer genre books that you don't see in many of the classics. Feminism, for example, isn't exactly addressed in Romeo and Juliet. If anything it's almost a step backwards when you compare female leads to other classics. But when you consider that this is what people read, this is what they're going to continue to read and learn from, you're going to see lessons that are more applicable to our current society in these books. Now I'm not saying classic books are bad, I personally love Jane Eyre and believe my freshman year English teacher taught it well, but you can enjoy all books and learn from most of them.

    ReplyDelete