Thursday, February 6, 2014

Post #8

In order for a book to be considered non-fiction, I feel like it has to be at least 95% true. I agree with Frey and how 5% of embellished truth really isn't that harmful. It's a book, and it's meant to have creative and interesting aspects. So what if the creative aspect comes from altering the truth a little bit? If you enjoyed the book, I feel as if the author should feel proud even if 5% of it isn't true. Everyone interprets things differently, so that 5% is a forgiving area and the "allowing different interpretation" zone. When it comes to it being half true though, I don't believe that's right. Label it a different genre and smack on the "based on a true story" label. Then it's okay. But to call it a memoir and it only be half true just doesn't seem right. I don't agree with David Shields at all when it comes to whatever the heck he did with his book. I consider it just complete plagiarism and a guy who wants to say he has a book out, but lacks the writing skills to make one. And being able to label a book one genre or another really helps the reader out. When these gray areas come around, it's hard for the reader to decide to give the book a chance or not. But if you enjoy memoirs and pick up a book in the memoir section, you're going to read it. As opposed to if you enjoy memoirs and pick up a book labeled as "memoir but only half of it is true" you're going to be like "...what" and probably not read it. The gray areas confuse readers and take out the simplicity of reading. I believe sticking to this genre or that is the best solution.

5 comments:

  1. I agree that sticking to the genre is the best solution but I think that I disagree with you on the 5%. I get that it's hard to tell the truth completely, but if an author is putting things into a story that are not true, then they should just classify the book as fiction instead of non-fiction. I think that's the easiest solution to the entire problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Emily, changing the genre is the best solution to this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people are just too lazy to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about the whole 95% aspect of a non-fiction novel. Although I think if it were say an autobiography, I think 100% should be true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your point about David Shields book being plagarism. The whole concept of it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. He seems like a guy who finds himself super clever and he tried to be complex and unique just for the sake of it, rather than actually cherishing his book.

    ReplyDelete